Sunday, April 5, 2020

Keep Me Safe

Psalm 16

O God, keep me safe— you are my refuge! 

I said to YHWH, “You are my God; there is nothing good for me apart from you.” 

The holy people of my land are wonderful! My greatest pleasure is to be with them. But those who rush after other gods will bring many troubles upon themselves. I will not take part in their sacrifices; I won’t even speak the names of their gods. 

You, YHWH, are all that I have, you are my food and drink. 

My life is safe in your hands. 

Within the boundaries you set for me there are nothing but pleasant places! 

What a delightful inheritance I have! 

I praise YHWH, who guides me; even at night my heart teaches me. 

I’m always aware of your presence; you are right by my side, and nothing can shake me. 

My heart is happy and my tongue sings for joy; I feel completely safe with you, because you won’t abandon me to the Grave; you won’t let your loved one see decay. 

You show me the path to Life; your presence fills me with joy, and by your side I find enduring pleasure.


Priests for Equality. The Inclusive Bible (Kindle Locations 23676-23690). Sheed & Ward. Kindle Edition.

February 17, 2020 - Bible verse of the day - Psalm 16:1 ...

The Psalmist shares a word of comfort in this song of praise, 

Keep me safe! 

My life is safe in your hands! 

I feel completely safe with you!

What images of safety resonate with you?
  • Your childhood home full of memories, smells, sights?
  • Your parent, grandparent, spouse, partner, child with open arms and inviting shoulder?
  • Your bed, safe and warm?
  • Something else?
What qualities of God invite us to take refuge in God's loving care?
  • Strength
  • Love
  • Creator and Sustainer
  • Something else
The Psalm itself offers some clues about the nature of safety in God:
  • We are never apart from God
  • God is the source of our food and drink
  • God provides boundaries
  • God bestows a delightful inheritance
  • God guides us and resides in our hearts to teach us
  • God is present, right beside us
  • God will not abandon us
In the midst of our complicated lives, 
  in the midst of uncertainty,
    in the throes of fear and a sense of powerlessness

Let us pray 
  to the One who is there for us,
    to the One who teaches us,
      to the One who guides us,
        to the One who will bear us up on eagles' wings
          to the One who created us, sustains us and nurtures us

With gratitude
  and joy
    and delight
      and wonder
        and pleasure
          and confident expectancy

That you, O Lord,
  will keep us

    safe.

Pastor Cheryl




Join us Sundays at 10:30 on YouTube to praise God together by clicking this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment