Saturday, March 21, 2020

All the Things Your Mom Taught You

I suspect that your mom, like mine, taught you to wash your hands.

Image result for wash hands

Now, in a time of contagion, we're learning anew how important it is to wash our hands thoroughly and often and we're being encouraged to sing this song or that to ensure we are doing it long enough. I hope the song that has come to you is one filled with joy, maybe even a giggle. The doxology works well, as do a number of silly songs.

What constantly comes to my mind is that joy is contagious. When that happens for me, Divine Love casts out fear. Giggles and silliness are a relief in this time that can be marked by anxiety over contagion. For those of you on Facebook, I posted a hilarious video of a British pastor whose shirt caught on fire during his livestream from the candles that he had carefully placed around for ambiance. It's hilarious because it's something I might do, clumsy as I am. (My dad called me "Grace Magoo!") I laughed like a fool when I saw that video and it felt good. It was a release of tension--an opportunity to laugh at myself.

I'm finding joy in quieter places too. I'm hopeful that we're finding stillness and opportunities to be with family members and also that so many are out walking and riding bikes. We're praying for our healthcare workers at the front of the crisis. We're caring for the members of our community by staying home.
Bill Graham Photography
Not only washing our hands, but resting and exercising more, keeping in touch, doing kind things, planning ahead, these are all things our moms taught us for a healthy, happy lifestyle. These are all things that are coming to the forefront as ways to address the coronavirus by flattening the curve. Outside my window right now a mom and daughter just encountered a man walking his dog and they stopped for a friendly pat and "hello". A jogger ran by and a family rode their bikes along the street. Goodness abounds and we're healthier for it. 

Thanks mom.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing about singing when we wash our hands.. it helped me remember a silly song I taught my girls when they were young that I learned at chuch camp a LONG time ago! Laughter certainly is keeping my strong these days! Looking forward to seeing everyone at Wesley SOON!

    ReplyDelete