Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lament







Image result for lament ann weems
















It occurs to me that not everyone sees hope and joy in the midst of this time. Today's blog post is a psalm of lament, crying out to God to see the writer in the midst of her pain and hardship. Are you feeling like this today? Consider writing your own lament to God. 

Get it all out. God can take it.

If you'd like to share it in the comments below or with me privately via email, please do.


Lament Psalm Four
by Ann Weems

O Holy One, I can no
longer see.
Blinded by tears
that will not cease,
I can only cry out to you
and listen
for your footsteps.

Are you, too, O God,
blinded by tears?
Have you watched this
world
pile its hate
onto the faces
of your little ones
until your eyes are so
filled with tears
that you cannot see me
waiting for you?
Are you, O God,
deafened by the
expletives
of destruction and death?

Have you heard
so many obscenities
that you cannot hear my moaning?
O God, if you are blind,
can’t you hold out
your hand to me?
If you’re deaf,
can’t you call my name?

How long, O God,
am I to sit
on the plain of blindness?
How long am I to listen
to the profanity
of my enemies
who mock:
“Where is your God
now?”

Show them, O my God,
that you remember.
Reach out your hand
and dry my eyes
that I might see
a new beginning.
Open your mouth
and call me by name
that I might know
you remember me.
Claim me that I might
announce in the
marketplace
that my God is here.

O my heart,
give thanks!
My God is here even
in the midst of destruction.

Weems, Ann. Psalms of Lament (Kindle Locations 289-316). Presbyterian Publishing Corporation. Kindle Edition.







Join us at Wesley UMC for worship Sunday mornings at 10:30 am.








No comments:

Post a Comment